The popular and highly nutritious vegetable kale can be intimidating to prepare for many individuals, but it doesn’t have to be. “How To Cut Kale” outlines the simple process of properly prepping kale to maximize its health benefits and make it easier to prepare. The article begins with outlining the two most common methods of prepping kale: stripping the leaves from the stem and slicing or chopping the leaves. It provides a detailed and easy-to-follow guide for each and includes instructions for cleaning, blanching, roasting and sautéing, as well as suggestions for specific types of kale such as curly kale and dinosaur kale. Additionally, the article covers nutrition tips, and provides helpful visuals to ensure that the reader is prepping the kale correctly. By following the instructions outlined in “How To Cut Kale,” home cooks and chefs alike will be well on their way to harvesting the many health benefits of this delightful and diverse vegetable.
How To Cut Kale:
Kale is a nutritious and versatile vegetable with a unique flavor that can be added to a variety of dishes. To make the most of your kale, it is important to know the proper way to cut it. Here is a step-by-step guide to cutting kale for cooking:
- Rinse and Dry- Begin by rinsing your kale in cool water. Once rinsed, take the time to thoroughly dry it with a kitchen towel.
- Removing Leaves from the Stem- Before you start chopping, you will need to remove the leaves from the stem. To do this, slide your finger up the stalk to detach the leaves from the stem.
- Chop the Leaves- Once you have removed the leaves, you can begin to chop them. Cut the leaves into small strips, cubes, or whatever shape you prefer.
- Rinse Remaining Peels- Once you have cut the leaves, you may be left with some peels still attached to the stem. If so, simply rinse again and pat dry.
- Store and Use- Kale can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. When you are ready to use your kale, it can be added to salads, soups, pasta, and a variety of other dishes.
By following these simple steps, you can easily and conveniently cut kale for all of your favorite recipes. Enjoy!