Steaming kale is an easy way to get your daily dose of vegetables. Begin by washing the kale and tearing the leaves into small pieces. Put the kale pieces into a pot, preferably a steam basket, and add a small amount of water. Place a lid on the pot, cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and let the kale steam for 3-5 minutes. After steaming, season with salt, pepper, and favorite spices such as garlic or ginger, pepper flakes, and even freshly grated lemon zest. Kale can also be served as is. Serve warm and enjoy.
How To Steam Kale
- Start with 1 bunch of kale and rinse it thoroughly with clean water.
- Cut off the woody stems and discard them.
- Roughly chop the kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the kale into a steamer basket.
- Bring about 2 inches of water to a simmer over medium-high heat in a pot.
- Once the water is simmering, place the steamer basket with the kale over the pot.
- Cover the pot and steam the kale for 5 minutes or until it is tender.
- Once the kale is cooked, serve it with desired toppings.
Steaming the kale is one of the best ways of preserving its nutrient content. Start by rinsing and chopping the kale, then place it into a steamer basket and set it over a pot of simmering water. Let it cook for 5 minutes or until tender, and serve it with any desired toppings.