Kale and Butternut Squash Gratin is a flavorful and hearty gratin that is an ideal dish for a cold winter’s day. This comforting side dish features in-season butternut squash and hearty kale that is tossed in a delicious mix of cream, white wine, garlic, and herbs. After the vegetables are combined, they are topped with a creamy cheese sauce, panko breadcrumbs, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. This creation is then popped in the oven until golden and bubbly. The end result is a simple yet delicious side dish perfect for any special occasion.
Kale and Butternut Squash Gratin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch kale, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and cook for about 7 minutes, or until softened.
- Add kale and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan over top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and starts to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.