Kale and Mushroom Risotto is a creamy Italian dish made with cooked Arborio rice, vegetable stock, mushrooms and kale. The recipe is simple and includes ingredients that are widely available. The mushroom and kale add color, texture and flavor to the risotto. The dish starts with the mushrooms which are sautéed in olive oil. Next, the Arborio rice is cooked in the flavorful vegetable stock until it is creamy. The kale is then added in the last few minutes of cooking, so it stays bright green and slightly crunchy. To finish the risotto, it is seasoned with salt and pepper and fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Kale and Mushroom Risotto is a delicious and easy to make dish that the whole family will enjoy.
Kale & Mushroom Risotto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3-4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine, such as pinot grigio
- 2 cups kale, chopped and firmly packed
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan or vegetarian Parmesan, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened.
- Add the Arborio rice, stirring to coat everything in oil. Toast for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable broth, stirring until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed into the rice.
- Continue simmering and stirring, adding the remaining 2-3 cups of vegetable broth in 1/2 cup increments, until all of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked al dente.
- When the rice is cooked, add the white wine, kale, and mushrooms. Stir in until everything is evenly distributed and the kale and mushrooms are cooked.
- Mix in the Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley, if desired.