This delicious sandwich combines roasted vegetables and kale with a creamy peanut butter-tahini spread and slices of toasted pita bread. The preparation calls for roasting gently seasoned red onions, red bell peppers, and mushrooms in olive oil to create a flavorful and texturally appealing filling, then mixing them with a homemade spread of tahini, cream cheese, peanut butter, lemon juice, and garlic. The spread can also be spread onto the toasted pita and filled with the roasted vegetables and a crisp, leafy layer of kale, then served. The combination of flavors and textures make this sandwich an ideal lunchtime meal, sure to leave eaters full and satisfied.
Kale and Roasted Vegetable Sandwich Recipe
- 2 kale leaves
- 1/2 cup assorted roasted vegetables
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 1/4 cup of hummus spread
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
- Spread the vegetables on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly charred and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Spread the hummus on both slices of bread.
- Lay the kale leaves on one slice of bread, then top with the roasted vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Close the sandwich and slice in half.
- Serve and enjoy!
What other vegetables can be used in a kale and roasted vegetable sandwich?
Carrots, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, eggplant, cauliflower, squash, onions, and tomatoes are all great additions to a kale and roasted vegetable sandwich.
What kind of bread is best for a kale and roasted vegetable sandwich?
A hearty whole grain bread is the best option for a kale and roasted vegetable sandwich. Rye, whole wheat, and pumpernickel all make excellent choices.