Kale and Sausage Lasagna is a delicious and nutritious twist on the classic Italian dish. The recipe combines ground sausage, tomatoes, white beans, garlic, and kale with a rich tomato sauce and lasagna noodles. The sausage and tomatoes are cooked together until fragrant, then combined with the white beans and garlic. The kale is cooked separately then added to the sausage mixtue. This is layered with lasagna and sauce, then baked until golden and bubbly. After a few minutes of resting, this healthy and filling dish is ready to be served.
Kale and Sausage Lasagna
- 1 (13.25-oz.) package lasagna noodles
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (10-oz.) packages frozen chopped kale, thawed, drained well
- 2 cups (8-oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and garlic until sausage is browned and crumbly; drain any excess fat.
- Add onions to skillet and cook until tender.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, sugar, and salt; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale and heat through.
- In a greased 9- x 13-inch baking dish, layer ½ of the noodles, ½ of the sausage mixture, ½ of the mozzarella cheese, and all of the ricotta cheese.
- Repeat layering with remaining noodles, sausage mixture, and mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.