Kale and Sweet Potato Soup is a healthy, comforting soup that is easy to make and full of flavor. This vegetarian soup recipe is prepared by sautéing garlic, onions, and a pinch of red pepper flakes in olive oil. Then sweet potatoes and vegetable broth are added to the pot and simmered until the potatoes are tender. Kale, salt, and pepper are then added and cooked until the kale is wilted. The soup is then ready to serve with a garnish of croutons, Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes to give it a little extra kick. This soup is a delicious and nutritious way to warm up any winter day.
Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, thyme and oregano, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the kale, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the kale is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Serve hot.