This delicious Kale and White Bean Soup is easy to make and perfect for a comforting meal on a chilly winter night. It starts with cooking some garlic and onions together in a pot until they are lightly browned. Next, diced carrots, celery, and potatoes are added along with seasonings like sage, thyme, and bay leaves. Red kidney beans and vegetable broth are added and brought to a boil, before adding kale until it wilts. The soup is cooked until all of the vegetables are tender, and then finished off with a drizzle of lemon juice and extra seasonings to taste. This comforting soup can be enjoyed as is, or with a side of crusty bread for extra flavor.
Kale and White Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, and oregano to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the kale leaves and white beans and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.